Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Potage St Germain

I was looking forward to coming home yesterday because I had a recipe in mind to make. It was Potage St Germain, a French peasant soup:


2 T. butter
3 leeks, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 head of butter lettuce, chopped
30 oz. frozen peas
1/2 cup mint, minced

Sautee the leeks in butter over low heat until the leeks are wilted. Raise to medium heat and add the broth and water. Bring to a gentle boil. Add lettuce and peas. Cook until peas are tender. Add mint.

Either with a hand immersion blender or a food processer, blend the soup. If you find the soup is too thick, add water. Garnish with fromage blanc (soft white cheese) or sour cream. Serve hot or chilled.

My garden is only yielding radish at the present time. I had to buy all the ingredients except the mint. But as I started preparing this recipe, I realized that in a few months, I would be able to use peas, lettuce, mint and leeks from my own garden. I could make vegetable broth with leftover scraps of vegetables. The only thing I would have to buy is the butter...unless...I got a cow. Right.

The soup was ready to be served. I had even made bread the night before to go with the Potage, but then I heard a sound. I could NOT believe what I was hearing. Standing at the window, I finally had to face reality.

It was hailing.

Hail. It's May. It's Seattle. Thunder roared and lightening illuminated the yard just enough for me to see my vegetables covered in white.


I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment