Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bad Bird!



Okay, I have a bird with a twisted sense of humor.

Every morning when I go out to my garden, I find one more turnip that has been uprooted and dropped in some random square. I wasn't too terribly upset about it until this morning when I found the casualties-- a turnip and two of my cantaloupe plants.

Someone told me that the bird is just looking for something to make a nest with and once it pulls the veggie, it decides that it doesn't want it.

Well, I like birds, but not enough to let this carry on. I have a plan.

I am going to hang pie-pan noise makers all around, and I am going to make some homemade pest spray (I was told that birds DO not like this...and neither do beetles...or slugs).

Pest Spray
Ingredients:
one small onion, chopped
one garlic bulb, chopped
one teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
one quart water
one tablespoon liquid dish soap

Blend onion and garlic together, add cayenne pepper and water. Stir gently and let stand for one hour. Strain the mixture, add liquid dish soap, and mix. Use the spray on both sides of the plant leaves. Leftover spray can be refrigerated.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try and make the pest spray tomorrow. Have you made it yet? Also - I made the trellis for my peas. I'll blog soon!

    ReplyDelete