Friday, May 15, 2009

All My Children..uh...Tomatoes

Drama. Drama. Drama. What was I thinking? Trying to grow tomatoes outside Indiana. Seattle does not have the heat or humidity for a tomato to develop into that rich, almost sweet tasting fruit I grew up with. But none the less, I am attempting to grow tomatoes. Here is my story:

Knowing that I probably wouldn't have much success at a big red variety of tomato, I chose smaller plants that yield smaller fruit: yellow pear and red roma. I started the seeds indoor in the Jiffy soil pods and slowly watched the seeds sprout into tiny starts.

Thinking the middle of April would be the start of warmer weather, I planted them in the frontyard square foot box that gets more sunlight. And, to my surprise, my neighbor decided to cut down their very tall pine tree. This was great! Now my little starts would have the potential of getting even more sun. Maybe, I would have decent tomatoes after all.


(play villianous music - ha ha ha)


The temperature dropped and my healthy little starts soon started looking not so healthy. They are still alive, but I don't think they have grown in height in the past few weeks. I'm still waiting to see if they survive, let alone bear fruit. Just in case, more seeds have been started indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment