Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Planting- Round 2

Once my spinach, turnips, and other early crops are ready for eating, I am going to be planting again for a fall harvest! I sat down today to make up a planting plan (#2). I don’t know exactly what will go where, but I did jot down the days I need to be doing something.

[end of May]
Harvest turnips and plant BEANS! I am going to plant fun beans this time around: Calypso, Jacob’s Cattle, and Tiger’s Eye. These will have to be shelled, but that’s why I have children. I have 9 turnip squares, so I’m going to plant three squares/24 bushes of each kind of bean.

[June 1st]
Broccoli- start indoors (8 plants)
Cabbage- start indoors (6 plants)

[mid-June]
Harvest sugar snap peas and plant the following trellis climbers:
~Purple Pod Pole Beans (24 plants in 3 squares)
~More Cucumbers! (2 plants in 1 square)
~Zucchini (2 plants in 2 squares/this will take the entire trellis)

[mid-July]
Harvest carrots (which are coming up!) and replant with CARROTS!

[August 1st]
~Plant Broccoli and Cabbage transplants.
~Plant Kohlrabi (6 in 1 square)
~Plant Spinach (9 in 1 square)
~Plant Turnips (9 in 1 square)
I don’t know how many squares of each, but I need LOTS more spinach. My spinach has been plucked by children, eaten by animals, and some seeds just didn’t come up.

[August 8th]
Plant more spinach!

[August 15th]
Plant lettuce.

[August 22nd]
Plant more lettuce.

[August 29th]
Plant last batch of lettuce. I realize these plants may not get full-sized in time (before the first Indiana snow of the year). That’s okay. I will still eat them!

No comments:

Post a Comment