Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Turnip Tale



I pretend to be organized.

I have all my boxes (6 are mine and 2 for my boys) graphed out ever so nicely on grids. I don't think I could have 8 boxes without a plan. But my skills only take me so far. I have my plan; I lost my turnip seeds! They could've been planted last weekend with the peas, but I didn't know where they were hiding. Insert operation clean kitchen...lost seeds found!

It rained last night making the soil nice and moist on this not-so-chilly-day, so it was perfect for planting. I headed outside with a pencil, my popsicle sticks, my gardening book. I checked my chart and got to work. I planted six squares of turnips (four holes per square).

A few hours later I was booming about square foot gardening to a friend, and I read something from the book to her. I realized that I could've planted more turnips per square. Many more per square. After a serious serach for my seeds (yes, I lost them again!) back outside I went. This time in the rain. I planted nine per square. I'm going to have a lot of turnip trimming to do. And if you do the math, I'm going to have more than a few turnips. I thought I was going to plant 24. I planted 54.
Anyone want some turnips?

Some of you are wondering about what book (the magical book) we are using. It's All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Happy Gardening!


3 comments:

  1. LOL!!! I don't use turnips, what do you do with them? Do you eat them plain or put them in something? Just curious!! Your garden looks great--I was telling Brad about it. We always put out a big garden (filled only with peas, green beans, zucchini, cucumber and tomatoes) but enough to put away for the winter. Anyway, we always have TONS and TONS of weeds to deal with--wondering if you will since you used the weed felt??? I'll love following along!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to follow these two garden adventures! I hope to get one going myself when in Indiana (about 3 more weeks). You grow girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I forgot about turnips! EEK! You want to ship me some? :)

    ReplyDelete