Friday, April 3, 2009

Changing the Nursery Rhyme

Cold, cold go away...
This last winter has been the weirdest weather in Seattle. It started with 11 inches of snow just before Christmas. A couple of weeks ago, I decided it was safe to start seeds indoors. I bought these little greenhouses from Home Depot and they were incredibly easy to use. There are 72 compacted soil pellets in each greenhouse.

After adding warm water to each, the compacted soil pellet "grew". In the picture above, you can see the change. The pellets on the left have had water added. The next step before adding the seeds was to loosen the soil in each pellet.


As I planted the seeds, I filled in the type of seed on a chart that would later help me identify which plants were which. I used colored toothpicks as landmarks. After I was done, I placed the clear lid back on top to create a greenhouse and found the warmest spot in the house w/o direct sunlight. The list of indoor starts includes:
Romaine Lettuce
Green Leaf lettuce
Swiss Chard
Summer Squash
Zucchini
Basil
Chives
Cucumbers
Cabbage
Garlic Chives
Leeks
Brussell Spouts
Yellow Pear Tomatoes
Red Roma Tomatoes
Bok Choy
Sunflowers
Wild Flowers
Seven days later:

13 days later:

My plan was to start planting outdoors this weekend, but due to the snowfall (???) last week and frigid night temperatures, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe indoor Sunflowers? :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your indoor plants are doing much better than mine! You have got to see my "chart" ~lol~ Nice toothpicks. I used stickers as markers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, I am a friend of your siblings and I just wanted to say Hi. I am very excited about your new blog with Ami. It is inspiring me to rethink my whole garden. I will be checking back for more insight and "growth".

    ReplyDelete