Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spinach. Smart.



I planted 4 squares of spinach on 3-31. Nine plants in each square equals 36 plants total. We will eat some fresh; I will freeze the rest for winter.

I will plant another square of spinach on 4-6. More fresh spinach. Let's add organic in there. More fresh ORGANIC spinach. Makes me feel rich!

I will plant 1 more square of spinach on 4-13. More yummy organic goodness.

Final planting (yep, 1 more square) on 4-20. My entire family should turn green by this date, but we will continue to eat gobs green greatness.

Staggering spinach.

No, I did not think of this brilliant idea. It came from the magical book, of course. What a simple and wonderful concept. Different planting times = different harvesting times = longer period of fresh spinach.

Even if you aren't square foot gardening, you can do this. Just plant part of your row. Mark it off. Come back to it a week later and plant a few more. Only rabbits need 12 heads of lettuce all at once!

3 comments:

  1. You girls are doing really well with your gardens. I am quite inspired. I was looking out my kitchen window at my little garden that always ends up being full of weeds by August and thinking maybe I should take the plunge and have Rob build a few boxes and just redo the whole garden. hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to read the posts and see the pictures! You grow girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wished I would have taken a little more time to figure out the whole rotation thing. I think I might build one 2x3 box for growing late salad greens. It's starting to get addictive! Eeek!

    ReplyDelete