Saturday, March 28, 2009

Seattle Squares

After opening the book with the same doubt we always have had, hope sprung to life instead of being sad. Maybe this time we would be able to grow veggies everyone could eat. With one of us in Indiana and the other in Seattle, conventional row gardening has always ended in defeat.
Running to Home Depot, I bought 2x6' s, deck screws and strips of 1" wood lath. Making 4'x4' planting boxes was so easy, I didn't mind the math. After a couple of hours and just a little sweat, I emerged from my basement with two boxes compete. I searced my yard for an empty 32 square feet.

Front Yard Box:
I found a small spot in the front yard that gets up to 8 hours of direct sun. The plan is to plant green beans, cranberry beans, brussell sprouts, roma tomatoes, yellow pear tomatoes, swiss chard, potatoes, beets, carrots and radishes. All of those plants require more sun than what is being planted in the other box in the back yard. Also, tomatoes do not grow very well in Seattle. We do not have the hot, humid weather. That's why I settled for smaller tomatoes instead of the bigger varieties.














Back Yard Box:
The back yard has several raised beds already, but I wanted to stick with the square foot gardening method for veggies. I found a spot that gets sun, but some of it is indirect due to an apricot tree. I plan to plant peas, cucumbers, cabbage, leeks, spinach, romaine lettuce, green leaf lettuce, bok choy and carrots in this box. If you notice, just to the right of the box is a rosemary bush that has grown tall. When I first moved in, it was bent over and laying on the ground, I propped it it and tied it to a stake. It smells sooooooooooo good! And I love cooking with rosemary.












2 comments:

  1. I can legitimately comment on my own blog now! LOL

    Now you need to share some recipes with rosemary! :)

    I am super ultra jealous of those yellow pear tomatoes. I never did buy any. Maybe I will find some at a nursery. Maybe I could call around to see if anyone has any...lol.

    :) Ami

    P.S. I changed the font size to large because it was itty bitty on my computer screen. You can do what you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- this is great! I hope one or both of you can help me get going when I am back home again in Indiana!!

    ReplyDelete