Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Staggered Greens

Something I did not try last year that I will definitely do this year is stagger the planting of the greens. The Square Foot Gardening book describes a process where planting is done in intervals so the result is being able to harvest a usable amount of greens.

I don't want to plant 12 lettuce plants and 8 spinach plants all at once. I would never be able to use that amount of food at the time of harvest. But, if I plant a couple greens this week and then a couple more next week and then a couple more the next week, I get a constant harvest and will be able to have fresh greens regularly from my garden throughout the summer.

I got a little ambitious with the first planting, but with an early harvest and a late harvest, these greens will be able to be harvest and eaten over 3 weeks.


The next lettuce/spinach/collards will be planted in front of the existing plants and will be done soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment